Friday, March 27, 2009

This Is Not Meant To Be A Food Blog. Am I Obsessed?

Fuelled by the success of last night’s not cooking for myself, I am out again. I just do not want to cook for myself after an 11 hour work day. I’m tired and grumpy and mildly hypo-glycaemic. The idea of standing in front of the hotplate and whipping up a delectable feast leaves me cold. Besides, I need very little provocation to frequent my favourite Friday hangout.

My Friday hangout is not hugely “Cape Town.” No hey shoo wow. No cocktails on Clifton. No wine on the beach while watching the round orb of the softly glowing sun sink gently through the wispy nest of clouds towards the pink tinged water, blah blah. No foray down Long Street slapping at the hands of pick-pockets, street children and beggars. No, it’s very down to earth. It’s a little Asian cuisine spot on the corner of Kloof and Union called Tokyo. They play chilled music and they're friendly. On Friday they do a sushi deal - eat as much as you like for R110. The sushi is usually tasty and fresh and there’s plenty of it. (As much as you can eat, in fact...) Tonight I've had 6 plates and a glass of wine for R128 (ex tip.)

I take my book with me and inhabit a regular seat (the one in the corner next to the goldfish bowl – don’t you dare go there on my recommendation and swipe my seat!) I order one glass of red wine and then I eat, read and people watch. It’s my unwinding time, which I desperately need right now. I’m finding the project extremely stressful and ditto preparing for the trip.

I come here alone. It’s the kind of place where people feel comfortable sitting by themselves. And not only me (I’m happy going just about anywhere alone) but lots of people. Tonight there are four of us here by ourselves – no one looking sad or lonely, just some regulars who enjoy the place. There’s the older guy, watching passers-by on the street. There’s the girl in the red shirt who keeps getting calls on her cell. There’s a guy with glasses and a piece of rice stuck to his chin (I can’t stop peeking.) And there’s me with my writing. There are also a couple of trendy looking young guys, each sporting glasses with a thick, black frame. Sort of 70’s revisited. I’ve seen photos of my Dad in a pair of glasses like that. Has there been some sort of revival that I am unaware of? (The odds are good, since I am sooooo fashion unaware.) I’m not sure that I like it.

I’ve been coming here for a year now, and I haven’t had a bad experience yet. Well unless you count the unfortunate run in with the fat Finnish bloke, but that had nothing to do with the restaurant. He was a fellow customer – an overweight, overly alcoholled (new word), overly confident old chancer.
So do yourself a favour if you like sushi and you’re looking for a good value for money dinner at a pleasant spot. Pop past these guys. They do sushi deals on most days, and Chinese lunch specials, and you can call them on 021 424 5108. Or else just pitch up – there’s usually something good going.


Now here is my short rant for the day. This is something that warrants a long post because I think it is a serious topic, but I am going to keep it short. It is something I could rant about for ages and get most uptight about and it wouldn’t do me any good. So:
I am bitterly disillusioned (I could, without exaggerating, say horrified) with our government for refusing the Dalai Lama a visa. That people who allegedly fought for the universal application of human rights have sold out so flagrantly is depressing. It makes a travesty of our constitution and the bill of rights. It is a spitting on the memory of those who died, believing in the righteousness of their cause, to put the current bunch of fat cats in power. And the ANC’s bumbling PR attempts to justify it are just insulting to everybody’s intelligence.
One positive thing that has come of the sordid affair is the number of South Africans of all creeds and colours who have expressed their outrage. But I can see myself working up speed and so before I change up another gear, I am going to cut it short.

May you have a beautiful weekend. Go out and be happy!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about the lack of Zen and our Zuma led fatefull future farce of a government....shoe!
    Oh, 6 plates and a glass of wine for R128 = one monthly train ticket...cheap hey!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cheap. The same amount will probably get me fewer than 5 train rides in Italy :-(

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
The contents and images on this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 South Africa License.