Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sorrento Scenery

Ok, there have been a few requests for more photos. And so this is going to be a post with not much writing, just a couple of photos. (Beside which, I am thinking I should post something quickly so that the post filled with naked boobs is not the first thing people see when they visit.) Bear in mind please, that photos go a little bit fuzzy when they’re compressed. But my internet connection is too slow to cope with uploading 4 meg pictures.

These pictures are all taken in Sorrento – a very pretty place indeed. Thanks to Julia for suggesting that we swing past here. We’ve ended up staying a week.

Vesuvius across the bay, taken from the campsite beach:


Coastal road out of Sorrento:


Sorrento main road:


Vesuvius acros the bay, taken from the town:


Sorrento beachfront:


Sorrento Harbour:


View of Sorrento from the coastal road:


My favourite view of Sorrento:


 
Tomorrow morning we will be heading off to Pompei again. This time we will be staying at Camping Zeus and are hoping it’s less of a rat hole than Camping Pompei. Here’s hoping too, that it does not rain tomorrow. Today I got rained on as I walked into town to buy myself the cutest book in the whole world. I am about to start reading "Firmin" by Sam Savage, about a literary rat. I have sneaked a few previews and am now torn between starting immediately (the hell with delayed gratification) and not wanting to start because then I am closer to the end. I think it is going to be a book I love. Anyway, I got rained on in my Firmin quest and had to console myself with ice cream. 2 flavours – Fior Di Latte (incredibly rich and creamy vanilla on steroids flavour) and pear (subtle flavours of pear that danced on my tongue….) So yes – tomorrow is back to Pompei city for a trip to the ruins. I am preparing myself to be awed and humbled and a whole lot of other things. I think walking through a destroyed and yet immaculately preserved city might prove to be a rather intense experience. Kind of like the Holocaust museum (not that I’ve been there but it is on my list of places to see.)

4 comments:

  1. aah sorento, i was there on a school trip at the age of 16 can you believe, nothing's changed in a hundred years it seems, nice touristy town

    ReplyDelete
  2. How strange - to think that I was treading the same paths your paws trod so many years ago.
    It is a very cute town. Touristy as dammit, but I like the way it makes no apologies for being touristy. Nice shops to exchange 2nd hand english books. Delicious ice cream. What more you one want?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what more?....mmmmm.....eh.....you know

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
The contents and images on this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 South Africa License.