Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Tedious Day Of Admin

Today was not as productive as I had hoped. In the morning I made myself a quick snack of cornflakes and milk. My parents are away and I am in their house. My mom decants the milk into a pretty little jug. A jug with no handy expiry date printed on the side. So I took a huge mouthful of cornflakes and sour milk. Yuck. Doggies will be having a treat later. They are not as picky as I am. I had to rethink breakfast. I hate bread and I couldn’t stomach another helping of toast. I ended up having a protein drink. Not too filling.

 

Telling myself that I was practising for the months of starvation to come, I took myself off to my storage garage all prepared to make a serious inroad into my possessions. Sadly, that went about as well as breakfast. I wandered aimlessly from side to side of the garage, unable to do anything productive. Some of the stuff is in boxes. Some if it is furniture too large to move singlehandedly. I can’t take things home to my parents’ house because I don’t know yet if I can keep it there. I ended up feeling somewhat desperate and more than a little anxious about what is going to happen to everything when I leave. I do not feel like paying close on 10k to store my things for another year. On a positive note, I did manage to free myself of my old washing machine. It used to belong to my granny and when she died I used it for a few years. It always performed admirably. Unfortunately, sometime during the past year of storage, a spring in the door catch did something and now the door does not stay closed. I tried to fix it but ran out of time and patience. I ended up donating it to Raymond the security guard at the storage garage. I am sure he will find someone with more time and patience than me. Raymond took three of the garden/cleaning guys with him and they manhandled the behemoth out of my garage. It’s a heavy one. As they were struggling to wrestle the beast down the pathway I pointed out to them that the stand did have wheels and they could actually wheel it instead of carrying it all the way. “Hehehe!” laughed Raymond cheerfully, “These are Men and they want to carry it!”

Miraculously quickly (less than fifteen metres, in fact) those Men evolved into Thinking Men. They put the beast down and wheeled it the rest of the way.


When I left the storage facility, thoroughly depressed at how little I had achieved, I signed out to a happy chorus of thanks. Raymond is going to ask his mother to bless me. Apparently, I am going to have lots of luck. This has cheered me up immensely. One oldish washing machine in exchange for lots and lots of good luck? I think I got a good deal.

1 comment:

 
Creative Commons License
The contents and images on this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 South Africa License.